Saturday, April 25, 2015

Self Absorbed

  Do you like personal stories? If so, listen up, because I'm about to tell you one. It is a story, though personal, has much bigger ramifications. In my case, for the friend I'm about to tell you about, all, at least to the extent of my knowledge, ended well.
  A boy in my neighborhood, was one of those terrible kids, who took great pleasure in torturing and killing animals. Everything from bull frogs to cats and dogs, nothing escaped his deviant habit. Of course, deviant is not nearly a strong enough word for such behavior, evil would be the word. In deed, most all of the Islamist terrorists started out this way, but so did every home grown mass murderer. Again, let me be clear regarding my friend. This early behavior doesn't always lead to someone becoming such a callous adult, and in the case of my friend, I'm fairly sure, that he doesn't have bodies buried in his back yard. Even after this many years, and I still call him friend, what he did back then sickens me. On its surface, such behavior is thought to be nothing but a morbid curiosity? Thankfully, with the possible exception of Lizzie Borden, mass murderers are men.
  But to understand such depravity, is near impossible for a healthy mind to understand. You can call such thoughts and behavior as a psychosis, but its root cause is evil. I suppose that the larger point to all of this, at least the one most relevant to current events, is the question, How do men and boys, go about cutting off someone's head, shoot them, or burn them alive? How can people do these things to other people, with no more feeling, then that of a morbid facination, and mindless obedience? How is it that such total depravity exists? If these types have a morality, what is it? What reason, what logic fosters this kind of behavior, and how is it that we can possibly understand?
The answer is, that with evil, there is no logic, because there is no base, because evil has no morality.  When someone is evil, they are the epitome of being self absorbed, so much so, that they can not see, nor understand, the suffering of another.

No comments:

Post a Comment