Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Being Shy

  A couple of days ago, I met, or more accurately, re-met, a woman who I went to grammar school with. What are the odds of that? So anyway, once I realize that not only did we go to the same school, we were in the same class! But I can't place her, and it's driving me nuts! So I begin by speaking about people from the same school, I keep rattling off names, but none of them strikes a cord with this girl?
So I ask her, do you remember me? No, she says? Eventually she tells me that she was painfully shy, and that her parents were very strict, and that she had only one girl friend from back then, she tells me her name, and I hadn't heard of her either?
  So, obviously, this whole thing intrigues me, as this was not a hugh school, in fact, it was rather small. I have to know this girl I say to myself, and then she described where she sat, and that did it! I could see her sitting there just as sure as that day. Not only was she shy, but because of it, she was always withdrawn, she looked the epitome of a mousey type of girl. The kind who blushed even if all you said to her was hello? Isolated by fear? But the more I thought about it, I realized that I too was shy back then, but I had taken a different tact. Instead of going in, I went the other way? I was the class clown, later to become a wise ass punk in high school. My way was to use sarcasm and humor to fend off anyone who tried to look too closely at me. Many comedians are like this. Confident while on stage, but jumping at shadows when off.
  The plain truth is, even those who seem so in control all the time, and outgoing in their personality, they too are shy. Being shy is just a way of people knowing you too well, it is because if they knew who you really were, that they would know that you aren't as cool as you try to make yourself out to be. Being shy is about feeling guity. The first were, you guessed it, the first couple, Adam and Eve. They made wild love in the high grasses of the meadow until they did that thing with the fruit! What happened then? All of a sudden they became self concous, and went to get some fig leafs to cover themselves. So what did the knowledge of the tree of good and evil really bring them? Was Satan's promise of how they will be like God true? No, all it did at first is make them know that they were naked and exposed, and make them feel guilty enough to hide themselves from each other. And later when Jesus entered the garden, and called for them to walk with him as they did every day, they hid from him. One bite of that fruit, and innocence was gone, and in it's place, only doubt and fear.

No comments:

Post a Comment