Monday, January 20, 2014

Racism

  What else would we talk about today, if not racism? A sore subject, a sad reality, but it has changed a lot since his time. I speak of course of one of the greatest men in the history of this great nation, one whose face could rightly be put up there with the others on Mt. Rushmore! A great man of God, a man of peace, Dr. Martin Luther King!
  If he could suddenly spring back to life at this moment in history, he would be both astounded and appalled. To see black faces in places of power, all over the television, from almost every walk of life, he would probably say, Great God, halleluia! But then, after the reality of the situation had sunk in, he would be appalled to see that it was those now in power who look to keep racism alive!
  Racism is a terrible thing, and it takes many forms, for many different reasons. I will tell you a secret about the only thing that is still secret in this country? I will tell you how I voted and why. I am still a registered Democrat, and as such, I voted for Barack over Hillary, because I thought that a white woman being elected president before a black man, might well be the final straw to the black community. Let's face it, in case you haven't noticed, most black men are hardly gender sensitive?
Now before I go on, let me also say that I like President Obama. He has a beautiful wife, and two lovely little girls who have stood up to the white hot glare of the spotlight quite well! I also voted for him in the 1st general election, likewise for racist reasons? I thought then, and to some extent still believe today, that only a black man can make the ugliness of racism go away. But that would take a man like Martin Luther himself! But I can't help thinking, that if Dr. King had been in the room, when the President pinned that medal on Ophra, just days after she said some of the most insidious, racist comments ever said by a respected public figure, that he probably would have slapped both of their faces!

No comments:

Post a Comment