Sunday, October 6, 2013

Exceptional

  Want another reason for American exceptionalism? Our music! It is the most copied music in the world by far and away! Whew! sure felt good to get that off my chest! What inspired this little offering?
Friday night I saw the Steely Dan concert with my son at the Beacon Theatre in NYC! It doesn't get any better then that! The band was great! Wanna know what was better? Sharing it with my son!
He made a case for Metal Music, and explained to me that I was in error for not liking it? He went about making his case by using his car's satellite radio. I saw that there were two types, one just screaming and loud cords, and the other, which paid close attention to their music! I didn't doubt him, but I was too busy talking about the basics of American music! All of the influences from all of the different genres that make up American Music!
  Meanwhile, back in the car, he asked me on the way up, a time spent doing 85 miles per hour on the Jersey Turnpike, what kind of band I would classify Steely Dan as? Genres are tough, I mean how do you go about pigeon holing the music of any band? Anyway, I told him, Jazz/Rock fusion.
  Make no mistake about it, and don't be afraid to mention it, but American Music is the most revered in the world! It is our music, and it sprung from our beginnings, it is our heritage, and our living legacy!
The purpose of this little piece? Just that we are exceptional for many things, but at the top of that list is our music!

No comments:

Post a Comment