Friday, February 3, 2023

Who's Line Is It?

   The morning's waking was soon enveloped in a shroud of doom. Surely I thought, a light hearted day would cure these blues. Steer clear of the news, as the enemy within has now given into the threat from without, as a Chinese spy ballon floated one hundred thousand feet above its target. But an old personal scene from my youth appeared in my mind, and I thought to myself, surely, the balloons are up. This made me smile in my heart.  

  Amazingly, and without much effort, I had managed to start the day off with a smile on my face. But how I thought, could I maintain this sunny disposition? First for sure, stay away from the news as best I can, as it is always bad. I did catch a glimpse of it last night, and saw the infamous Squad meltdown which was both funny and nauseating at the same time. Each of them took a turn ignorantly screeching in the house, working themselves into a frenzy, until at last they burst into tears! This as each parroted about the injustice of it all. Ironic? sure, but these cats actually deserve an Academy award. As with everything, with these purveyors of hatred, their crocodile tears were not genuine, but scripted. 


  Anyway, that was then, this is now, as I set off to have a good day, and by God, I was determined to have it! First I decided to put aside the story I was writing for awhile, as it is badly in need of editing, as it had ballooned into four pages, and to borrow a metaphor from the pop music genre, I needed to cut it down to three-o-five. So, what to do what to do? I chose to watch one of the movies I had recorded, and played the movie Arthur. A comedy about a born into wealth rich guy, (Dudley Moore), and his falling in love with a commoner, Liza Minelli. The movie is wildly funny with its prat falls, and deeper oddities common to us all are funny. But what struck me very early in the movie is when Arthur sitting in the back of his chauffeur driven Limo, drunk as a skunk, laughing like a loon, says to himself, Sometimes I just think funny things. Now I have used that line many times over the years, and always thought it was original? Also, just before I turned in last night, I watched the real late night king, Johnny Carson, with both George Carlin and Richard Pryor on that same show. Three icons of comedy, together on one TV show, needless to say, it was hilarious! At one point, Johnny ask them a question about using other comics jokes and mannerisms. Both laughed and admitted to using some of their influencer's material. So with comedy, I guess its a fair question to ask, Whose line is it anyway? Perhaps a warning to all you Wokesters out there. That old bit of comedy genius is rated WP, so you won't think it's funny. There isn't a hint of politics in it. 


      

No comments:

Post a Comment