Monday, August 12, 2013

I haven't a clue?

  While re-telling a story, did you ever find yourself exaggerating a bit on each telling? Not quite lying,  call it an embellishment? Yesterday, I went up to visit my brother in law at the hospital. The hospital sits on some hilly ground, and so the walk up to it was very painful to my knee! Now that is the simple and concise truth of the matter, without any accompanying adjectives. But by the third telling, not only was I walking with a limp, but it was so bad, that the hospital people loaned me a wheelchair to use while I was there? This part of course is not true, but by this telling, I got across the severity of my pain,  which if I had to choose only one word to describe it, I would probably pick excruciating, though in fact, that might just be too severe?
  I guess if there is to be a point to be gained from all of this, it would be that because of this pain, the quality of my life is not what it should be? I don't want to write as much as I once did, and my daily walks are considerably shorter!
  Now there is something else, as long as I am writing this one, but it probably doesn't fit with the subject I started with, and in truth, I don't even know why I am telling you this? I have a good vocabulary, but not a great one? Case in point: On Friday's show, Dana Perino used two H words while talking about the President's recent news conference, the last of which was Hyperbole. I understood perfectly what she was talking about, but only because of the context she chose to use it in? Taken on its own, as a word left to itself. If you were to ask me Webster's description of what the word means, I haven't got a clue?

No comments:

Post a Comment