Sunday, September 27, 2026

Power of God

   Saying too much or not saying enough are both sides of the same coin, they're an after thought. The storms of life billow up in threatening clouds rain and wet misery. But the tell tale sign that severe storms were on the horizon, was shone the night before the storm with the beautiful red skies we all saw. Jesus taught, that by the beauty of a perfect Spring day, and the peace we feel by being with such beauty, we love the tranquility of gazing on such natural beauty. And that in that beauty, you see the face of God, when you look at all such natural scenery. Conversely, you see the almighty power of the Lord by observing closely the storms, earthquakes and volcanoes. The natural calamities of life. Now I love to witness the tranquil moments in life as does any man. But what I love more is watching and standing outside in the middle of, is a good thunder and lightning storm, for we see an up close glimpse of His power and majesty. 

  All knowing, all powerful, the source of energy. With the pointing of his finger and a word from his lips, mountains sway and move at His command. My wife was more a take cover and get out of the rain common sense type and would warn me to stay inside. And I did mostly so as to not have her worry. Perhaps in part I loved these storms because the really good ones where the night's landscape was lit up by the white hot wide bolts which fed the yellow fingers across the sky from horizon to horizon were awe inspiring, and loud with deep and crackling lightning that lit the skies with thunder and the rain which had not yet started in full fury. 

  The winds that accompanied the light show would sometimes blow the rain sideways in sheets. Other times the excitement of the spectacular light show were a prelude to the rain and fell heavy in fat round droplets soaking everything without cover after the lightning had stopped. One time, yellow flashes touched the ground all around, but seemed far enough away that I was not concerned by it. But then there was this time when a wide bright white flash split a tree in half which was no more than one hundred feet from where I stood. The sound of the explosion it made, caused by ears to ring for days. That one ended my career of being out among electrical storms. Made my wife happy. The lightning bolt was so powerful, and I remember tasting a metallic taste in my mouth. It scared me for sure, but also is still the awe that comes upon me whenever I visualize that moment. 

  God controls all, as He created all and controls all. Nothing on earth, or of the heavens above can explain it fully. Whether a crystal blue skied day or the savage anger of a storm fused night, all shows the power and majesty of our God.  

No comments:

Post a Comment