Monday, June 19, 2017

Confessions of a Male Chauvinist

  So a funny thing happened to me on my way to the pools. The 2008 one is the one I'm thinking of. I've told you in the past that I voted for Barack Obama, but that is only half true. I voted for him in the primary for two basic reasons. First, Hillary I knew was bad news, as she has been around forever. In fact, I knew that Hillary left more than just bad press clippings in her wake, but also a few dead bodies. Besides that bit of reasoning, I thought that the election of a white woman before a black man, would be the final slap in the face to the black community in general, and to black men in particular. 

  But in the general election, I voted for McCain, even though he didn't have a chance. I knew it for sure when team Obama was complaining about the way that the McCain team was unfairly accusing Mr. Obama of being inexperienced and very weak on national defense. Ultimately, team McCain did in fact soften on Obama's weak kneed approach to all things military. I knew then that he would lose.   Now fast forward to today. In today's climate of victimhood, surely such thinking would have made the radical left feminists to label me as a sexist. But ladies please, call me a male chauvinist, hell, I admit that, but a sexist? It sounds so violent. 

  What brought all this to mind was that I had put up a musical post from Van Morrison's album, The Philosopher's Stone. But I took it down this morning because get this, PC speak had gotten me too! I am duly ashamed of myself, but there you have it. It was afterall, Father's day, and so the piece was decidedly masculine. I can't remember most of it, but I touched on what it means to be a man, and the responsibility that comes with it.  Obviously, I think very few if any, would disagree that the absence of a father in a family is devastating, it was one of the greatest ills in our society. Boys who are raised without a dad or a solid male role model are ten times more likely to get in trouble than those boys with a father. While thinking of a way to close this one out, I thought about the young men and boys who didn't have that influence in their lives.  But then at the end, it got personal for me, as in my mind I was speaking to one young man who some of you might know if I were to name him, but I won't. I said to this young man that even though he is convinced that he doesn't have a father, he does. A father who loves him and cares about his life. I said to him, Don't worry son, you have a dad. Now of course I include girls and young women also, in short, all children need fathers. And to you young men out there. It doesn't take a man to make a baby, it takes a man to raise that son or daughter.    

No comments:

Post a Comment