Thursday, October 25, 2018

Baseball, the great American Parable

  This is a good time to be writing about baseball, as today is travel day for the two teams, and  they leave behind the icy chill of a New England evening's fall chill, and ready themselves to play the next three scheduled games at the Dodger's home park in the warmth and sun of southern California. Boston leads the series two games to none, having won both of the opening games at their home field at Fenway. But this not about the actual games, but rather as a way of using the game as if it were America. I wrote a little note on my home page about baseball and this World Series in the hope that some would comment on their views of the game. But of course, as usual, no one did. But I digress. Even though like all of us, I have my biases', which, left to themselves, would have me root for one team over the other. Even though things like my natural desire to root for the American league over the National league tug at me some times, for the most part, I have remained agnostic about this game. Of course if my Yankees were playing, then all such constraints would be long gone! What I'd be happy with at this time is a well played game, one played for team rather than self, and may the best team win. For those of you who are unsure what a parable is, it is much like a metaphor but different. Still confused? Sorry. Everything from this sentence on will be talking about baseball's biggest game, but it is really about America at it's best. 

  Hello everyone, it's Clark Kent, your mild mannered sports announcer for WNFF radio, 99.9 on your FM dial. As most of you already know, Boston is up two games to zip, and I know that the Dodgers are very happy to return to LA, and that warm California sun. I've been here at the park early this morning, as a combination of my press pass and hot coffee and an egg sandwich made the security guy at the gate much more understanding of our little group. We didn't get set up until a little while ago, but right now its 12 noon here, and 9AM where you are. Ah the wonder of radio. When we got in a little after 9:30, a small group of players worked  honing their skills, and we marveled at their dedication as the game isn't until tonight. But being just a new start-up station, we spent a lot of time watching the crews from Fox Sports set up the cameras and sets. A lot of work, but pretty cool to watch. The stadium decided to open its gates for the early bird fans at twelve, and a small group of a couple of hundred seemed to appear out of nowhere. As I watched them, I noticed, that so much like the country itself, there were so many different types of people. Like a microcosm of tonight's crowd that will undoubtedly be jammed to the rafters. (End part one)

No comments:

Post a Comment